Jamaican Jerk Kabobs
Caribbean food isn't really about heat alone--it's about creating a distinct and heavily spiced flavor array. Nothing exemplifies that more than Jamaican Jerk Sauce. These skewers are perfect for a summer barbeque, especially if you want to bring the vegan heat.
Cooking MethodBroiling, Grilling
Total Timea day or more
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe CourseMain Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Peanut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureHot & Spicy
- 2 scotch bonnet (haba?ero) peppers
- 1 small leek or 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce [114g]) jar pimentos
- 5 cloves garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) + 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (12-ounce [431g]) package extra-firm tofu
- 1 potato, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4cm) cubes
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4cm) cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4cm) cubes
- 12 small whole mushrooms
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 3-4 cups (570-760 g) cooked brown rice, for serving
To make the Jamaican Jerk Sauce: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal "S" blade, purée all of the sauce ingredients. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
To make the Jamaican Jerk Kabobs: Unwrap the package of tofu and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain for 1 hour.
Slice the tofu into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) cubes.
Using clean hands, alternate cubes of the tofu, potato, bell pepper, and onion, as well as the whole mushrooms, onto the 6 skewers.
Place the skewers in a 9 × 13-inch (22.5 × 32.5-cm) casserole dish and cover with all, but 1/4 cup (59 mL) of the Jamaican Jerk Sauce. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 8 hours or overnight.
Set the oven to broil.
Broil the Jamaican Jerk Kabobs in the casserole dish for 15 minutes, turning and brushing the Kabobs with the remaining 1/4 cup (59 mL) Jamaican Jerk Sauce after 7 minutes. Remove from the oven. Serve individually plated over the brown rice.
These kabobs are also delicious grilled.
Feel free to mix up the veggies with whatever you have available--pineapple would also be nice!
2013 Jo A. Kaucher
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.